What is Classical Chinese Medicine?
Classical Chinese Medicine (CCM) is a part of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). They are both based on the principle that human beings are a part of cosmic law (Tao), and balancing one’s Yin and Yang is the goal of the treatment. CCM treats the root of the issues. CCM does not just mask or suppress the symptoms. It treats deep inside of the issues and eliminates the root pathogens. Basic treatment methods are Acupuncture, Chinese Herbal Treatment, and many other manual treatments such as Cupping, Tui Na Massage, Moxibustion, and Gua Sha Scraping. Chinese Medicine in Cambridge Ontario is now available at Nature’s Vibe Natural Health Centre.
- Acupuncture – Acupuncture is the most common method of treatment of Chinese Medicine. It uses very thin needles. There are 361 WHO approved acupuncture points and many more empirical points. The body receives healthy stimulation by needling the specific acupuncture points so it can treat the imbalance itself.
- Chinese Herbal Therapy – There are hundreds of medicinal plants and animal products in Chinese Medicine. By combining specific herbs selected by the practitioner in the appropriate dosage, Chinese Medicine can treat various symptoms. Chinese Herbal Therapy has over 5000 years of history. Its efficacy and potentials are limitless.
- Moxibustion – Moxibustion is heat therapy involving burning a specific Chinese herb. Acupuncture in Chinese is Zhēn Jiǔ (针灸); literally meaning Acupuncture and Moxibustion. This means classically Acupuncture and Moxibustion are a traditional combination. Classical texts said moxibustion cures the incurable. A lot of researches have been done on the effects of moxibustion treatment:
- It strengthens the immune system
- It regulates the nervous and endocrine system
- It regulate blood pressure
- It optimizes the circulation of blood and body fluid
- It increases formation and absorption functions of the stomach and intestines
- It improves respiratory, digestive and reproductive systems
- It treats inflammation
- Tui Na – Tui Na is Chinese style massage based on Chinese Medicine using the Chinese Meridian channels through the body. It releases muscle pain and stiffness, activates the sinew channels and releases the pathogens.
- Cupping – Cupping has receives special attention because some Olympic athletes had cupping marks on their bodies. It releases pathogens from muscle layers to treat pain and stiffness by placing cups creating a vaccume on the areas of pain.
How Can Chinese Medicine Help Me?
Chinese Medicine treats the root of the energy imbalance. For most of the symptoms, especially those which are caused by lifestyle choices, there are reasons why and how the illnesses have happened. Chinese Medicine goes to the source of the issues and changes the physiological dynamics that affect body, mind and spirit.
Chinese Medicine does not forcefully suppress symptoms, rather it supports the body in the elimination of the actual cause of imbalances creating ill health. However, patients often have to change their lifestyle especially when their lifestyle choices have led them to their unbalanced condition. Chinese Medicine works best when there is a complete willingness of the patient to change.
What Are The Common Symptoms that Chinese Medicine Can Treat?
- Acute or chronic
- Joints/Muscle pain in limbs and fingers
- Abdominal and chest pain
- Headache and other pain of orifices such as eyes and mouth
- Heaviness and sluggishness of limbs.
- Lack of appetite or excess appetite
- Indigestion, slow digestion, bloating and pain in the abdomen
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Weight gain or loss
- Any issues from mouth to anus
Disorders created by Environmental Conditions:
- Colds and flu
- Ear infections
- Seasonal allergies
- Sinus congestion
- Headache due to weather conditions
- Water retention in legs
- Cold hands and feet
- Numbness in limbs or fingers
Disorders Related to Emotional and Autonomic Nervous System:
- Nightmares or night terrors
- Anxiety, panic attack
- Depression, mood disorders
Chest Area issues:
- Tight chest, oppressed chest, chest pain
- Pneumonia, bronchitis, other inflammations in the respiratory system
- Phlegm in the lungs
- Asthma, COPD
- Parkinson’s disease
- Post stroke paralysis
- Menapause related symptoms
- Night sweats, hot flashes
- Irregular menstruation
- Painful menstruation
- Urinary issues and prostate issues
- Inflammation in testicles
Chinese Medicine can also that uncommon conditions.
What are the Benefits of Chinese Medicine?
- Chinese Medicine treats the root of the illness. The goal is to help as many peopleas possible to achieve the best health that they can enjoy and to enable them to maintain the equilibrium.
- Chinese Medicine treatments do not interfer with western medicine or any other alternative medicines.
- Chinese Medicine is appropriate for any age and illness stage
- Chinese Medicine treats each person as a whole, and views each individual as a part of the universe
- Chinese Medicine most cares about patients’ subjective feeling the most. Unwellness that medical doctors have no explanation, pain that no tests can find the cause, or chronic conditions that require medication for the rest of life can be treated with Chinese Medicine with potential to produce positive results.
- Chinese herbal therapy at Trillium Chinese Medicine use dried raw herbs. They are as pure as possible with no chemical additives or preservatives.
- Chinese Medicine can be used for chronic and acute conditions
- Chinese Medicine has been scientifically proven to be highly effective when used correctly
I am Already Seeing a Practitioner, Why Should I Try Chinese Medicine?
Chinese Medicine analyzes each individual’s physical and mental health as a whole, and customizes the treatment plan so the body, mind and spirit can be closer to the equilibrium. Therefore, Chinese Medicine does not just treat specific one symptom, but rather improves the functions of each organ and the relationships between organs. My goal is to help you and your body to rebalance itself, and assist you to improve your health to the point that you may not even need any future treatments (of course except preventative or maintenance treatments).
Is Traditional Chinese Medicine Covered by Insurance?
Traditional Chinese Medicine and acupuncture are regulated practices in Ontario and most major insurance companies provide coverage. Check your extended benefits. If you do not see Traditional Chinese Medicine and acupuncture on your benefits, contact your HR department and ask if they can be added to your package.